In ‘Eat That Frog’ Brian Tracy gives us 21 solutions to avoid procrastination and be more productive.
We are all capable of procrastinating, it’s very easy in the digital age; social media, mobile phones, the list goes on. For me it’s news sites and blogs, I can wile away the time while my article or business plan sits waiting for attention.
Eating a frog is an interesting metaphor, it comes from the Mark Twain quote. I don’t think there are too many of us that relish the idea of starting the day eating a frog, it sounds revolting! The idea is to deal with the most challenging task first then everything else seems like a pleasant task, just as most things we eat would be pleasant after digesting a frog to start the day.
1. Set the table;
2. Plan every day in advance;
3. Apply the 80/20 rule to everything;
4. Consider the consequences;
5. Practice creative procrastination;
6. Use the ABCDE method continually;
7. Focus on key result areas;
8. Apply the law of three;
9. Prepare thoroughly before you begin;
10. Take it one oil barrel at a time;
11. Upgrade your key skills;
12. Leverage your special talents;
13. Identify your key constraints;
14. Put the pressure on yourself;
15. Maximize your personal powers;
16. Motivate yourself in to action;
17. Get out of technological time sinks;
18. Slice and dice the task;
19. Create large chunks of time;
20. Develop a sense of urgency;
21. Single hand every task.